Archive » May 10, 2007
Adopt a Pet
By Karen Lee Stevens
With big doe eyes and an even bigger smile, Mia, a 49-pound, spayed female German shepherd, is sure to capture your heart.
“She's about eight years old and still quite a looker,” says Thom Zimerle, a volunteer with K9 PALS in Santa Barbara.
“Mia may be a senior citizen,” he adds, “but she is still active, talkative, sociable and an incredibly sweet soul.”
She loves people and would make a wonderful edition to any family. Since she is very easy-going, Mia would do well in a home with children of any age. Mia is hoping for a loving family who will be captivated by her loyalty, good nature and that sparkle in her eyes.
For more information on adopting Mia, please stop by or call K9 PALS, whose facility is located at the Santa Barbara County Animal Shelter, 5473 Overpass Road, off Patterson Avenue, 681-4369.
To meet other adoptable cats, dogs and bunnies, please visit www.allforanimals.com.
10 Reasons to Adopt
1. Adult and older dogs are already housetrained.
2. Unlike puppies, mature dogs don't normally chew inappropriate items. Your Jimmy Choo shoes are safe!
3. Senior canines can focus well because they've mellowed as they've aged. Therefore, they learn quickly, proving that old dogs can indeed learn new tricks.
4. They settle in easily because they've learned what it takes to get along with others and become part of a pack.
5. Older dogs are adept at giving (and receiving) affection once they get settled into their new home.
6. They are grateful for the second chance they've been given.
7. Unlike puppies, older dogs have grown into their shape and personality.
8. Older dogs are instant companions – ready for hiking, beach walks, car trips or just chilling out in front of the television.
9. They don't demand as much of your time and attention as puppies and young dogs do.
10. Mature dogs let you get a good night's sleep because they're accustomed to human schedules and don't generally need nighttime feedings, comforting or bathroom breaks.
All comments are subject to review after submission. Please allow a slight delay before comments appear online!