Archive » August 31, 2006
By MJ Staff
(Are you a non-profit organization seeking volunteers? Upon a space-available basis, you can run your 50-words-or-less appeal for volunteers here; we offer such appeals to qualified institutions free of charge. Fax your ad to 969-6654, e-mail to email@example.com or write to us at P.O. Box 50015, Montecito, CA 93150.)
• Come join us at the Santa Barbara Zoo and learn about our Docent "Volunteer Educators" Program. On Saturday, September 9 we will be hosting a docent "Meet N Greet!" Come learn about the program from active docents and join us for a specialized docent-lead tour. Please contact Tiffany Lopez, volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more about the event.
• Jewish Family Service of Greater Santa Barbara is actively seeking volunteers! We are in search of compassionate and caring individuals to provide friendly visitation and telephone reassurance to homebound seniors. Or perhaps you would like to become an “adopted” grandparent or friend to an adorable preschooler in our new Big Buddy Program forming now! To find out more about these or other volunteer opportunities, please call Ruth Steinberg, LCSW at 957-1116, Ext. 113.
• Visiting Nurse & Hospice Care – To be a hospice volunteer requires compassion, commitment and a kind heart. The next hospice training will be held on two consecutive Fridays, 18 and 25. Please call Linda Martin at 690-6274.
• 2006 CALM Design Showcase Home & Garden Tours – CALM is looking for volunteers to serve as docents for the 2006 CALM Design Showcase House. The house will be open to the public for tours from September 4 through October 1. CALM is asking for a minimum commitment of one shift per week, for four weeks. There will be docent trainings on Wednesday, July 26, from 1 pm to 3 pm, or on Saturday, July 29, from 10 am to 12 pm, at Victoria Hall, 33 West Victoria Street. Contact Meredith Scott, Mscott421@aol.com, or call 967-1954.
• The Santa Barbara Historical Society is offering its Docent Training Program beginning in October, to be completed spring 2007. No previous background in history is required. Please call the Historical Museum at 966-1601, ext. 110.
• “I Have a Friend” Mentor Program at Hospice of Santa Barbara is in urgent need of volunteers. Mentor volunteers are adults who suffered the loss of a parent or sibling as a child. They are trained and matched with children who have suffered a similar loss. The mission of the hospice is to provide care to anyone experiencing the impact of a life-threatening illness, or is grieving the death of a loved one. If you would like to volunteer for the program, please call Joy Janssen at Hospice of Santa Barbara, 563-8820.
• The Friendship Center, a non-profit day program serving the frail elderly in our community, is in need of volunteers. If you enjoy working with people, entertaining, sharing stories and talents, or just want to be in a place where you’ll get to know some great older people and make a difference in their lives, give us a call. Auxiliary members are also needed to serve on various committees planning our annual Festival of Hearts event. Please contact Susan Jorgensen at 969-0859 or email@example.com.
• Dog Adoption and Welfare Group (DAWG) is looking for volunteers! We are a no-kill, non-profit dog adoption agency with a variety of volunteer opportunities, such as walking dogs, grooming, special events, fundraising and much more. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Visit us at www.sbdawg.com.
• K-9 PALS, K-9 Placement and Assistance League, Inc., all-volunteer and non-profit, needs volunteers to help with caring for the adoptable dogs at the County Animal Shelter – for socializing, exercising, bathing, training dogs, also for interviewing and counseling adopters, fundraising and many more things. Foster homes are also needed. For more information visit www.k-9pals.org or call 681-4369.
• United Way of Santa Barbara County is looking for volunteers! Please be friendly, motivated, and have the desire to work within our dynamic office environment. We are seeking individuals to assist us with mailings, filing and data entry. The hours are flexible – one to two days a week, two hours minimum per day. Internships are open to students seeking to complete graduation requirements. If you would like to contribute to your community behind the scenes, please call Rosemarie Culpepper at 965-8591 or e-mail email@example.com for more information.
• ASAP is looking for Volunteers on weekdays during school hours! You can help cats and kittens at your Santa Barbara County Animal Shelter. Training classes are from 9 am to 11am on Saturdays by appointment. Please e-mail Kim Snyder at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message at 681-4397
• Senior Volunteers (age 50+) wanted to help other seniors with peer counseling. For information on volunteering, please phone (805) 899-2915 or e-mail email@example.com. Center for Successful Aging – 524 Chapala Street, Santa Barbara.”
• 2-1-1 seeks volunteers to become trained crisis, information, and referral specialists for the 211 Helpline, the health and human services hotline for Santa Barbara County. As a paraprofessional counselor, you will learn the skills required to defuse crisis situations and refer to the appropriate community agencies. Training provided. Requires minimum 6 -12 months, 2-hour a week commitment. Call 805/965-1001 ext 224 for more information.
• The Canine Adoption & Rescue League is in need of foster homes for small to large puppies and dogs. Foster homes provide a loving home environment which helps ready the dog for adoption into permanent home. Food, medical care, training and support are provided by C.A.R.L. Please contact Carmelita at (805) 652-1001 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Easy Lift Transportation is seeking new drivers for its volunteer driving corps. Drivers are needed 4 hrs a week to transport frail ambulatory seniors. Create your own schedule! Volunteers drive easy lift’s sedan. Seniors encouraged to apply. Contact Rene t 681-1417 for more info.
• ALL FOR ANIMALS, Inc., a non-profit organization dedicated to increasing awareness about cruelty-free living and the importance of compassion to ALL animals, has an immediate need for a volunteer grantwriter. Call Karen Lee Stevens at 682-3160 for more information.
• Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History Ty Warner Sea Center volunteer, you will help visitors discover the wonders of the Santa Barbara Channel. If you love the ocean and like working with people, please call Stacy at 962-2526x104. No experience is necessary
• Santa Barbara Meals on Wheels is in great need of volunteer drivers. Can you spare about two hours a week to deliver hot, nutritious meals, along with a friendly word and a smile, to our community’s homebound and elderly? Mileage reimbursement is available. Please call 683-1565 from 9am to 12 noon, weekdays.
• Garden Volunteers at Casa Del Herrero: Love to garden? Enjoy being outside? Mature volunteers will assist in regular garden maintenance. We promote organic gardening. A commitment of a minimum of 10 hrs a month is necessary. For for information or a volunteer application, email email@example.com or call Jean at 565-5653
• Cachuma Lake Nature Center needs you! Most urgent need is for volunteers to host the Nature Center on weekend days. Three hour shifts are scheduled per volunteer. Talk to visitors, work in the gift shop, meet new people, visit a beautiful place! Call 693-0691 or e-mail CLNATCTR@SBCEO.ORG.
• Caregiver Coalition of Santa Barbara needs volunteers for its "Family Care Partner Volunteer Support" program. Call 966-1933 to learn more.
• The Essential Image Source Foundation, in collaboration with Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary and Channel Islands National Park, is producing a new visitors’ center high definition film, “Jewels of the Pacific”. Volunteers are needed for web design, graphic arts, public relations, boat support, assistance at film screenings and fundraisers, and more. Please call (805) 969-9010 or visit www.eisf.org
• Clowns Wanted – Any one interested in clowning for a non-profit organization. Help is available and will show you how to be a clown. It is lots of fun, helps many organizations and brings lots of happiness to all. Phone Clowntown @ 969-2382
• Santa Barbara Family Care Center which has been in operation for over 30 years, providing education, care and resources to children and their families needs help by either becoming a Board of Director member, assisting with fundraising or developing a program video. Contact Diane Harmon, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or 805-963-6631.
• RESQCATS, a non-profit kitten rescue & adoption shelter in SB is looking for volunteers to help with morning & afternoon feeding, cleaning & socializing. Please call RESQCATS at 563-9424 for info or visit our website www.resqcats.org
• Family Service Agency is looking for volunteers to help deliver birthday and holiday gifts for our Senior Program. Training will be provided. Flexible days & hours. A good driving record is required. Contact: Ruth Mesnik 965-1001 x 235
• Arroyo Hondo Preserve on the Gaviota Coast needs volunteers—Habitat Restoration :1st Sunday of each month from 9:30 to 12:30 and Trail Maintenance: 3rd Sunday of each month from 9:30 to 12:30. No experience nor equipment necessary. Call 567-1115 or email email@example.com
All comments are subject to review after submission. Please allow a slight delay before comments appear online!